Monday, February 26, 2007

Well, at least someone finds me interesting...

Too bad it's the Government!

I knew it had to happen sooner or later I suppose. I think I have been red-flagged by Big Brother as a "person of interest".

I bought a non-restricted M1 Carbine (barrel lengthened a whole half inch to comply) and I tried to complete the transfer today. Usually this is really easy. Call, give my personal info, and the gun is mine.

Today they told me it had to be sent to the Surete (Quebec provincial police) for approval before it could be transferred, and they informed the gentleman I bought it from not to give it to me.

How did this come about? Well here's my theory.

In late November I sent off some money to buy a Tokarev pistol. The company I bought it from went on a month long vacation in mid December before my purchase was processed. Now, as of around Christmas a new law started being implimented. They wanna see proof of membership of a gun club before you can even take restricted firearms home now.

So, when the company went back to work in January, I ended up kinda screwed. The Surete called me wanting to know where my proof of membership was...I didn't know I would need to be a member of a gun club to buy the pistol. Why not? Because that was never a rule!

So the club I shoot at as a guest hasn't replied to my letters and I end up shafted, and shell out $130 to get a membership elsewhere. I get my card today, so I am a full fledged member.

Hopefully I can straighten this out tomorrow.

I'll tell everyone something right now though. In Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and many more cities in Canada, criminals are buying unregistered illegal guns from other criminals. So when some kid ends up getting shot by some druggie, we can all remember they spent all this time looking into me and other gun owners with no criminal record, and over $1,000,000,000 has been spent to keep law abiding people in check.

6 comments:

Concerned said...

You could also write to your CFO and ask him/her to send you the forms required to apply for a "Collectors Status". There is no charge for this but the process takes a while (30 days or more)and they do not inform you as to whether or not you have qualified. You have to actually phone them and ask. Once accepted though, you can then purchase restricted firearms without having to belong to a gun club.

Joel said...

Thanks for the suggestion!

I spoke with the CFO's office today and things were explained to me.

When the CFC saw that transfers for the pistols were suspended, they red flagged me and dumped my transfer on the CFO.

The CFO called it dumb, and said I didn't do anything wrong. I was told as soon as they get my gun club membership card (sent it today) everything will be kosher.

Thanks for the interest, and the help!

HeadCount said...

You know, I have no problem with red flagss being checked out. Then again, if you start mentioning which fertilizer would be best for your "farming needs", I'll start to worry. Until then, it's just paperwork and shows vigilance on the part of authorities. That makes liberals happy.

Joel said...

Yeah Red. That might be true. But don't forget civil servant means servant and not civil boss.

A phone call to the SQ woulda been all it took to straighten that out lol. But hey, its not like its your tax money at work or anything...

HeadCount said...

I think there's a couple of SQ guys who meet during breaks and talk about what you bought this week...

"Hey did you know that Joel guy has an M1 now?"

"I thought he had a Garand..."

"Oh, he has one of each..."

"Cool." *sips coffee*

"Oh yeah, he rocks. Clearly, he's a history buff."

"For sure, ay!"


THAT's what they call a person of interest. %)lol

Joel said...

Hahaha, yeah thats about the size of it!

The chick I talk to at the Parthenais is way cool. I thought dealing with them was gonna be intimidating and lots of beurocracy, but nah man, they zipped it right through. Not so scary at all.