Sunday, May 13, 2007

M14 Rifle

Hey all,

Just came home from a session with the M14! I was finally able to pick her up from the shop on Thursday night, but today was my first day off from work.

Overall, I gotta say...this is a CRAZY deal for $499. A real 7.62x51mm NATO battle rifle, available in Canada, even for shooters on a budget. Or even cheap bastards like me. What's not to love?

Well...It does have a few shortcomings. The Chu wood stock is not as good looking or durable as US walnut, but you can exchange that for $100. 5 round magazines suck hard, but such is Canadian law. And the sights are not as robust as US models, but you can just drop in a set from a Garand or a US made M1A or M14 rifle, they just fit right in.

Bear in mind a US rifle is $1900 and you can see why there's a couple cut corners here.

Now the good news...its actually closer to the old US Military M14 rifle than the Springfields we buy for $2k dollars! A forged receiver, as opposed to cast, a one piece firing pin, tighter gas system, and flash hiders already bored out to National Match specifications. Can't go wrong.

I'm actually VERY surprised by the accuracy of this rifle. In the last two pictures, you get an idea of the sight picture, and there's a group I shot today. Four rounds into two inches, from standing supported, with Remington hunting ammo. Not too shabby for an eyeball and iron sights huh?

7.62x51mm NATO, which most of us know as 308 Winchester, is a very powerful rifle round. It can shoot accurately from an M14 to 500 meters if the shooter does their part, defeat cover which would laugh at a C-7 or M-16 rifle, and is plenty enough gun for even moose hunting. Cheap surplus ammunition is still available in Canada to shoot holes in targets other than your wallet.

The sights on this rifle (as well as the Garand) have to be the BEST that mankind ever devised. Sharp and crystal clear, easy to see, and fully adjustible.

One click of the dial moves your bullet strike one inch per each one hundred yards you are shooting. Thus:

1 click at 100 yards is one inch
1 click at 200 yards is two inches
1 click at 300 yards is three inches
1 click at 400 yards is four inches

and so on.

So lets say our rifle is zeroed for 200 yards and we want to shoot something 400 yards away. My data book shows a 147 grain FMJ boat tail round dropping 22.3 inches, or almost two feet, at that range. So, one click being four inches at 400 yards, you need simply 6 clicks of elevation to put yourself at 24", and your shot would hit 2 inches high on target.

Pretty simple eh?

Ergonomics are very good. Not AR-15 good, but it's very comfy. Heavier than say, a 30-30 lever action rifle, but no heavier than a scoped bolt action. And the weight does soak up some recoil and allow you to get back on target faster.

Seriously...at this price everyone should buy at least one.

Here's some pics...As usual, click for the big version!







10 comments:

HeadCount said...

You can tell that I'm jealous, right? I knew you could.

I always felt that the M-14 didn't get the credit it deserved. It was replaced too soon, but hey, the legacy lives on. A few US soldiers get to appreciate it at work today and that's a good thing.

If any of them are in Afghanistan, I feel that my troops are safer already, you know what I mean?

I just have a lot of respect for that rifle.

I'm glad you're happy with it, man.

Anonymous said...

Where to you find all that stuff man? Outstanding!!!

Joel said...

Red,

I cannot...CANNOT believe the USA actually destroyed 750,000 of these rifles.

Some went to Romania, I think...some went to Israel...Some of the originally US made Israeli M14s were actually sent here to Canada for sale, but that is before they became prohib, along with our FN FAL, etc.

Talk about a piece of history there!

I respect the hell out of the M14 too. I gotta admit, it IS an improvement over the Garand, and it's a true rifleman's rifle.

In the hands of a seasoned shooter, if it's within half a kilometer its going down.

Slip! Where do I find them? All over! I have an obsession, bro! I'm online hunting for guns 24/7 man!

Thanks for the comments.

HeadCount said...

"I hunt for rifles"... lol

Man, I'd find my some wood and sculpt myself a new stock for that rifle.

Joel said...

Oh man...sky is the limit on the wood...cut a maple near a swamp, you might find tiger stripe or "fiddle back" maple.

You see it on guitars and fiddles a lot, and waaaay back in the 1700's it was really popular on the "Kentucky Flintlock" rifles made by German craftsmen in Pennsylvania. My favourite rifle stock wood.

BUT...for about $100 you can get a GI style walnut stock that is brand new and looks terrific.

rgg said...

What is the name of the store where the M14 can be purchased?

Anonymous said...

hey I love the gun!! Can you tell me where you purchased yours. I'm having difficulty finding one or a cheap one.

Blastattack said...

Marstar is getting then in in June at ~$430, including cleaning kit, case and some other stuff. Wolverine Supplies has em as well, though you pay more for a little less there.

Unknown said...

where do u get your surplus ammo from?

Unknown said...

Nice rifle. All it needs is a new scope mount from m14.ca