Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Long Range Tactical Rifle

Here's something I thought everyone might like to see: I recently finished my first custom sniper rifle build. This one has gone through lots of stages in the past two years, but finally ended up nailed down, albeit much differently than I had in mind from the start! It was originally going to be a wood stocked target gun, but it ended up a tactical rifle...And a great one at that!

Here's the specs:

Caliber: 30-06 Springfield
Action: FN Mauser 98, 1952 production
Barrel: Douglas Air Gauged Premium 26", 1-12" twist, No 7 contour
Bolt: VZ-24 Czech Mauser 98 with forged bent lever and tactical knob
Stock: Bell and Carlson tactical
Optics: Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x40mm with adjustible objective and Weaver QD rings
Finish: Walter Birdsong's Black T spray on coating and parkerizing

Lessons learned: Shoulda went with a 1-10" twist on the barrel (one complete turn of the grooves every 10 inches) to stabilize rounds heavier than the 175 grain range.

Special thanks:

Fritz Matti of Matti Fine Arms: Thanks for all the lessons, my friend. Benoit, if you are out there too, you're the man.

Mike Rescigno of Tac Ops: Mike put the awesome texture and paint on that stock for me, installed the bolt knob, and had Walter Birdsong apply his Black T finish, which is simply the best firearms finish I have ever seen anywhere. Big words, but true nonetheless. Mike's shop, Tac Ops, deals with 450 Law and Military organizations across North America, and makes the best tactical sniper rifles in the world. I'd put that claim up against anything else out there.

Mark Lammers of LOSOK Custom Arms: Mark is a police officer/sniper and owner of a custom rifle building company. I really couldn't have gotten this done without his help.

Mel Ewing of Sniper Central: Thanks for the info, advice, and smokin' price on optics, old bud.



5 comments:

Concerned said...

Very nice. Must be a bitch though to reset your tin cans between shots. Here we learn the relationship between muzzle velocity, wind drift, and gravity. Not to mention drag to spin ratios. Did I mention projectile weight and air density? An interesting learning curve, I dare say. Have fun and safe shooting.

Joel said...

Oh man...tell me about it! Kickin myself in the ass for not paying more attention in pysics class lol. At least for parabolic arches and cartesian planes!

Wind is the big one. If you have ballistic software thats reasonably on the ball, you can make yourself a laminated "cheat sheet" to stuff into that pouch on the butt of the rifle. It dials you in reasonably close, "on paper" lets say...you just have to log the results on a new sheet, and you have your dope.

Reading wind though...lol, I'm still a greenhorned punk.

About the tin cans...Well I gotta keep in shape somehow! lol.

Anonymous said...

Man you fulfill my dreams. Mauser tactical rifle. I'm happy you did it and I will inform you asap my new rifle arrives (also Mauser).
Once again : Great blog mate

Slip

Joel said...

Slip, always good to have you around here my brotha!

Still ain't fired that rifle yet...store has me waitin forever for high rings.

I could have mail ordered them and had them weeks ago, but the store is good to me...and its local, so I want to support them.

I suppose Friday I will cancel the order though. I gave em long enough. And you don't know how bad I wanna shoot this thing!

Yours is gonna be a killer too man. Custom from Zastava. Now thats something!

thunder11 said...

Man can't wait to see that Mauser in action.
Mine will be finished soon, actually it is finished but I must wait for the papers so I can pick her up. I guess its the matter of days now ;) I will be more than happy with anything sub-MOA!
Been busy lately but I will try to post as much as I can ;)
P.S Don't get confused I have two Gmail account and this browser sometimes log me under different username!

Slip